My dear Derek,
Ever since I saw you leave on that train, I waved to you until the train’s smoke was only a puff of grey air, distant from my reach. It is truly horrid to think of you stuck in the world of death and oblivion. When the sun rises in the west, and sets in the east, I just sit there and cry, hugging the photo of you next to me. It has started to dawn on me that you might not come back alive and I have been forever howling since. My apologies if my ink is blurred, I just can’t help making my tears drop onto the paper. The world has seemed to have lost all its colour without you now. The silky green grass on the ground and the fluffy white mass of clouds up above have just turned grey and beige. My figure has become slimmer as I haven’t had time to feed my restless stomach. Whenever I begin to feel happy, I quickly remind myself that I shouldn’t forget you for a single second and become down again.
Everyone is beginning to worry about my health and have tried to summon a doctor home for me but I simply refuse. My tired, red, sore eyes have been shooting prickled pain down my cheeks but I just cannot give in as I am supervised by someone for hours on end. It is utterly atrocious that people are already starting to forget about you like you didn’t even exist. But just remember I will never, ever forget you.
Your Beloved Martha
Finishing my letter with a flick of my hand I slipped it into an envelope sitting on my desk. My tear stained face slowly began to turn ghostly white. I was in tears again as the sound of a gun firing rang through my ears and a sharp pang of sadness stabbed into my heart. “It would be a waste of time if I wrote down all my feelings to my husband and didn’t even post it,” I muttered to myself shakily. Sluggishly jumping into my warm boots I rushed into the cold air of reality. My husband is at war.
The frosty air ran through my brown lifeless hair as I stumbled down to the edge of the road where everyone was hurrying through the doors of the grocery store preparing for the worst. A few strangers passed by said a quick howdy and rushing off in the other direction. The world has changed ever since Germans declared war. As soon as Derek found out that there was a global war about to begin he rushed to the enrolment centre without negotiation. Before I knew it, my husband was gone.
Wandering a few more metres down the road, the big 2 story post office cast a shadow over my small stature as I shivered in the cool breeze. Entering the door, my legs shuffled to the front of the big counter and silently asked for my number. Slivering the key into the lock I slowly inserted my letter into the compartment. My eyes met a large package that was concealed inside a orange envelope.
No comments:
Post a Comment