On Friday the 16th of September, The Manaia Golf Course held the annual Mt Spa Cross Country. I was racing in the 12 and 13 year old girls race. I was so nervous looking at my opponents in the race. They were all taller than me. But size doesn't matter. On Monday I had previously won the school cross country for my age group now it was time to face other people from Opunake, Rahutu, Kaponga, Manaia, and Matapu. Auroa did extremely well winning a few races and also some other high placings. After all the other kids had run it was my turn. I stood up to the starting line, taking glances across the front line of my opponents. The siren rang and we began our 3 laps. I took it slowly at the start and soon gained on the front pack coming in 4th as we rounded the corner to finish our first lap. It was a wide spread race nearly the whole way with each lap being 1km each. I soon broke away from the girl that was in 5th place and there was no way she was going to catch me. My aim was to beat the girl in front of me. I sped up to a faster pace and there I was side by side to her. It was going to be a struggle at the finish. I started to put the gas on at the end, Speeding to a sprint in the last 10m. But so did she. we bet each other off and I could hardly breath. I had a large big surge and we crossed the line at the same time. We got 3rd equal! I congratulated the girl who raced me and hobbled back to where our school was in the stands. I was so proud of how I did and everyone was congratulating me on such a great photo finish. I couldn't have been any closer! I now get to go to Taranaki cross country to face even more people but we can save that story for another day!
Madaline
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on third place - that's a fantastic achievement and a great result. I was interested to read in your recount about the weather but it didn't feature in what you wrote. Was that it was you finished before the rain? Or was it that the rain didnt' affect your race?
Mr Webb
Mr Webb,
ReplyDeleteThankyou for your comment. I was really proud with what I achieved and now I am so tired! The rain did hold off for my race the boys race got a little bit wet. Thanks for your opinion. I will remember that in future posts.
Madaline
Hi! My name is Lilly Kate and I am in Mrs. Kreise's class in Texas, and I am doing cross country too this year! How long have you been running?
ReplyDeleteCome visit me at my blog http://edublogs.eanesisd.net/lillian8472022/
Thank you for your comment Lilly,
DeleteI have basically been running all my life because at my school cross country is an annual compulsory event you have to compete in. We have a school one and if you get in the top few people in your age you get to go to comps like these.
Madaline