Friday, 7 October 2016

Rawleigh Hockey Tournament 2016

This Monday, (The 3rd of October) to Thursday (The 6th) Stratford held the annual Hockey Tournament for the Rawleigh grade. My sister and I were fortunate to be apart of the team, and being picked by the selectors earlier in the last few months. We were representing the Taranaki Team. We had been training for months, Having mini tournaments and training but it all came down to this. Our first game was against Haukes Bay who was an even par team to us. We fought hard. I was on for 90% of the game. Unfortunately we got pipped at the post, just losing 2-0. It put us down but we need not to worry as we had 2 games the next day.

On Tuesday I was woken up to the sun shining just as the day before. I was a little sore from yesterday but I was really excited for the games today. Our first game was at 10.30 against Wellington. They wee a very good team and they bet us 3-0. We were determined to get a goal in our next game which was against the hardest team!

As we stepped onto the turf for the next game against poverty bay, All of the team was hyped. We scored in the first five minutes and the feelings were ecstatic! We played the rest of the game to our best efforts but the team was too strong, with us ending up defeated 6-1.

Wednesday we had another 2 games and all of the teams were sore and tired. We played Wairapa and Manawatu and sadly lost on both but all the games we had today were nothing compared to Thursday when we were fighting off for 7 and 8th.

On Playoff day, We were all exhausted, and to make it even worse the heavens had opened up and it was pouring down! The officials decided to call the game off but we decided to play a fun game anyway. It was a tight game right up to the end with both teams scoreless. We had time to spare so we had a penalty shootout. A penalty shootout is where you have a 1 on 1 with a goalie and you have 8 seconds to score a goal. 4 other players and me stepped up and faced of. I scored an awesome goal and so did 2 of our other players. We won!

We ended up placing 7th and were very proud. Have you ever played hockey?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Madaline! It sounds like you had a ton of fun. I play volleyball and I know what it's like to wake up and be so sore then to play the same day. One time we had to wake up at 4 in the morning to make it to the tournament on time. I hope you will come visit my blog! http://edublogs.eanesisd.net/morgan8482022/

    ReplyDelete